Monday, July 11, 2011

Meatloaf in Peppers - Freezable

It seems that ground beef does not last but 2 days once purchased. Since I shop on the weekends this often causes a problem. I either have meat go bad, I have to freeze it, or I have to prepare in advance. Yesterday I made 2 different beef dishes. The first is here. The recipe below is modified from a Food Network Recipe by Sunny Anderson. I modified to first double the recipe so I can freeze some, and to work with ingredients I had in the pantry. When I finished I had 3 bags to freeze. They contained the following meatloaves per bag: 4, 6, 7. This is perfect for small meals or larger.


PAN FRIED MEATLOAF IN PEPPERS

Ingredients

  • 6 green peppers (I ended up needing 7)
  • 2 lbs. ground lean beef
  • 2 cups breadcrumbs
  • 2 (28-ounce) cans Hunts diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano (1 to be used now and 1 for when final meal is cooked)
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 egg2
  • 2 small onion, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons chopped sage leaves
  • A few dashes Worcestershire sauce - 6 dashes
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • Vegetable oil, for frying

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Remove core and seeds from peppers. Slice into 1 inch rings and place on nonstick baking sheet. You should get about 3 rings per pepper. In a large bowl mix together beef, bread, 1 can of the tomatoes, garlic, egg, onion, chopped sage, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and season with salt and pepper. Press meatloaf mixture evenly into pepper rings. In a skillet over medium-high heat, add oil. Saute meatloaf rings on both sides until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. Add remaining tomatoes to skillet and bake until cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes.


To Freeze: Do not brown. Transfer after preparation immediately to a freezer bag. Freeze for 3 months. Once ready to serve thaw in the fridge. Follow above directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment