Friday, June 17, 2011

Summer's Best Strawberry Jam



I am typically a blueberry jam maker, although jam is not something I particularly like to eat. My in-laws have a small orchard of blueberries so we pick, pick, pick when they are ripe and freeze, freeze, freeze. Frozen berries are great for about a year although they never last that long in our house. I decided I would try strawberry jam after seeing the Ball recipe in a magazine. I will note where I altered the recipe. I did not alter the sugar amount, but may in future batches since it seemed REALLY sweet to me.









Summer's Best Strawberry Jam - a small batch recipe

1 1/3 cups crushed strawberries (I used the entire package of strawberries which was a little more than required. Silly me also did not realize I did not own a potato masher. I know, silly. So I cute the berries up and smooshed in the pot as it cooked.)

1 1/2 tablesspoons Ball RealFruit Classic Pectin (I am sure any pectin would work, but this was a Ball recipe)

1 2/3 cups granulated sugar (I would test this out several times. This may be too sweet for you.)

2 (8 oz) half pint preserving jars. (I used 4 oz. jars. If I would have thought it out I would have cleaned and prepared 5 jars. There really was enough for a small fifth.)

* PREPARE boiling water canner. Hear jars and lids in simmering water until ready to use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
* PLACE strawberries in a 6- or 8-quart saucepan. Gradually stir in pectin. Over high heat, bring mixture to a full rolling boil that can not be stirred down, stirring constantly.
* ADD all of the sugar, stirring to dissolve. Return mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil hard one minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary.
* LADLE hot jam into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip-tight.
* PROCESS in a boiling-water canner (Mine is just a pot with a towel inside to protect the class jars.) for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lids should not flex up and down when center is pressed.


I could not find this on the included website, but more recipes can be found. www.EasyToCan.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment