Sunday, October 10, 2010

Charles' Chili

This one is so easy. Great to double and freeze the other half. I have been freezing soups in gallon freezer bags, and double bagging them.

1 lb. ground beef
1 medium can tomato sauce
1 small can tomato paste
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
chili powder, 3 tablespoons or to taste
conecuh sausage cut into small rounds, I use Hickory
1 can kidney beans, I leave out but Charles does not
Fritos, optional topping
Sharp Cheddar Cheese, optional topping

Cook beef until browned. Drain and rinse. While browning cook the onion and bell pepper until softened in another skillet. Add the onion and bell pepper to the meat. Add the tomato sauce and chili powder. Bring to a simmer. Add 1 tablespoon of tomato paste. Stir. St this point you will want to add water to the desired consistency. At least 2 cups since some will evaporate. Cook the sausage in a separate pan. Add this to the chili. I add the beans at the last minute, just to heat them through. If we do not have others over I skip the beans or just add to Charles'. Serve with fritos and cheese.

I say "I" in this a lot, but Charles is the actual chef when it comes to chili.
Cook this meal a few hours before you want to serve

No comments:

Post a Comment